Introduction of Ministry
The tutorial ministry supports the educational development of students from grades 3 - 12. Our objectives are to:
- Establish a good working relationship with the students.
- Improve students' thinking and listening skills.
- Encourage students to have respect for God, themselves and other people.
- Establish rules of conduct and encourage good behavior.
- Motivate students to organize materials and develop good study habits.
Our mission as "Bible Believing, Christ Centered and Spirit Led" tutors is to help our children improve their performance in Grammar, Reading, Writing and Mathematics.
We strive to help the students develop skills to problem solve, think independently, improve their grades and test scores, build self-confidence and self-esteem and to always acknowledge the Creator, God.
Activities and Services
Tutorial sessions convene in the James McCord Education Building on Tuesday for Grammar, Reading, and Writing (GRW) and Thursday for Mathematics from 7:00 PM to 8:15 PM. The weekly tutorial session includes:
- Word review, reading, and writing drills in Grammar, Reading and Writing sessions.
- Multiplication drills and math problems in Mathematics sessions.
- Focus on critical components which lack proficiency.
- Assist with homework and test preparation.
- Prayer; each session begin and ends with prayer.
There is a one-time non-refundable fee for the year: $25 for members and $40 for non-members. Payment is due by the first day of attendance to a session. Registration forms are located in the office or can be downloaded by clicking here Tutorial Registration Form.
Websites to Assist with Learning
|Reading and Language Arts|
|Elementary to Intermediate grade levels|
|All grade level|
|All Grade Levels|
|ABC Entertainment Television||N/A||N/A||http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page?id=3069947|
|Intern Opportunities at Bloomberg||N/A||N/A||http://jobs.bloomberg.com/content/intern/|
|Microsoft Internship Program||N/A||N/A||http://careers.microsoft.com/careers/en/us/internships.aspx|
|Pre-College Programs at U of MD||N/A||N/A||http://www.precollege.umd.edu/|
|Princeton University Journalism Summer Program||N/A||N/A||http://www.princeton.edu/sjp/|
|UNCF Merck Science Initiative||N/A||N/A||http://umsi.uncf.org/|
|Thurgood Marshall College Fund Scholarships||Varies||https://tmcf.org/our-scholarships|
23 ."O love the Lord, all ye his saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer."
6."Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
7.In all ways acknowledge him and he will direct thy paths."
7. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."
|Rose Adams||Assistant Chairperson|
|3rd - 6th Grammar, Reading & Writing||3rd & 4th Mathematics|
|Joyce Brooks - Team Leader||Janice Raynor - Team Leader|
|5th & 6th Mathematics||7th & 8th Mathematics|
|Zachary Hawkins - Team Leader||Artisha R. Polk - Team Leader|
|Nina Turner||Joe Copeland|
|9th - 12th Grammar, Reading & Writing||9th - 12th Mathematics|
|Kyle Schooler - Team Leader||Vernon Gordon - Team Leader|